Supporting Families who have Children and Adults with Smith-Magenis Syndrome
The Smith-Magenis Syndrome Foundation is a small UK registered charity that supports families who have children of all ages with SMS and provides information for professionals working with these families.
What is Smith-Magenis Syndrome?
Smith-Magenis syndrome (SMS) is a genetic disability due to a microdeletion or abnormality of chromosome 17. The key symptoms of SMS include:
- mild to moderate learning disability
- severely disrupted sleep pattern
- delayed speech and language skills
- distinctive facial features
- behaviours that challenge like self-harm, aggression, impulsivity and hyperactivity
Understanding Smith-Magenis Syndrome
Diagnosis If you are viewing this website as the caregiver of a child or adult newly diagnosed with SMS you may be experiencing lots of different emotions, some of which…
SMS Personality People with SMS are often described as very friendly and outgoing, and as finding social attention particularly rewarding. Many develop strong social relationships at home, school/college and in…
Sleep Matters Sleep problems are highly characteristic of people with SMS, more so than of other people with an intellectual disability (where sleep problems are also elevated). There is now…
On Sale Now
Resuable Face Mask
Elasticated face mask/covering that is washable, branded with the Smith-Magenis Syndrome Foundation logo and name.
How We Help
– Provide information – we have a variety of literature available on the website or in booklet form
– Direct any questions you have to the professionals
– Provide emotional support – on the phone or in person
– Provide information for interested parties about SMS
– Organise and promote social get-togethers
– Small grants can be provided
– Fund research projects