Our Next SMS Foundation Community Event
Connect with families in your region, and across the UK in our virtual Teddy Bears’ Picnic Event.
Saturday and Sunday 1st & 2nd May 2021. #SMSBearHugandBeHugged Find out more…
Step Into Spring with SMS!
Join us in our SMS Step Into Spring campaign this April and May, raising funds for the SMS Foundation UK to allow us to continue supporting families diagnosed with Smith-Magenis syndrome in the UK.
Find a Challenge
We Support Families who have Children and Adults with Smith-Magenis Syndrome
Every person with Smith-Magenis Syndrome shall have a fulfilling life within a supportive and understanding community.
What is Smith-Magenis Syndrome?
Smith-Magenis syndrome (SMS) is a genetic disability due to a microdeletion or abnormality of chromosome 17. The key symptoms of SMS include:
- mild to moderate learning disability
- severely disrupted sleep pattern
- delayed speech and language skills
- distinctive facial features
- behaviours that challenge like self-harm, aggression, impulsivity and hyperactivity
How we help
Provide information – we have a variety of literature available on the website or in booklet form
– Direct any questions you have to the professionals
– Provide emotional support – on the phone or in-person
– Provide information for interested parties about SMS
– Organise and promote social get-togethers
– Small grants can be provided
– Fund research projects
Mini Jointed SMS Bear
Reusable Face Mask
SMS Sports Bottle
Understanding Smith-Magenis Syndrome
Broadly focusing on the diagnosis and early planning aspects of Smith-Magenis syndrome.
The SMS Personality, managing behaviours and developing skills.
Understanding the sleep patterns of SMS and learning to manage and cope.
Living with SMS, finding support and building futures.