What is Smith-Magenis Syndrome?
Smith-Magenis syndrome (SMS) is a genetic disability due to a microdeletion or abnormality of chromosome 17. The key symptoms of SMS include:
- mild to moderate learning disability
- severely disrupted sleep pattern
- delayed speech and language skills
- distinctive facial features
- behaviours that challenge like self-harm, aggression, impulsivity and hyperactivity
Mini Jointed SMS Bear
Reusable Face Mask
SMS Sports Bottle
Join our community and become a family member
If you join as a family member you will receive updates of any social meetings, conferences and fundraising events that are going on! Joining is quick, easy and free!
How we help
Provide information – we have a variety of literature available on the website or in booklet form
– Direct any questions you have to the professionals
– Provide emotional support – on the phone or in-person
– Provide information for interested parties about SMS
– Organise and promote social get-togethers
– Small grants can be provided
– Fund research projects
Understanding Smith-Magenis Syndrome
Broadly focusing on the diagnosis and early planning aspects of Smith-Magenis syndrome.
The SMS Personality, managing behaviours and developing skills.
Understanding the sleep patterns of SMS and learning to manage and cope.
Living with SMS, finding support and building futures.
Funders and Partners
Support My Smile
Individuals with SMS are often known for their big, bright, loving, happy personalities and a smile that is simply infectious! All donations will help the SMS Foundation UK achieve our aim of supporting families living with SMS, so whether it is a ‘fiver for fangs’ a ‘tenner for no teeth’ or a ‘fifty for falsies’ please share your beautiful, cheesy, gappy, gurning smiles and make the World smile along with you!