We would like to provide further information about our national event this year at Mount Cook Activity Centre from Friday 16th August through to Sunday 18th August 2024. Living with SMS can present its own set of challenges, and sometimes the greatest support comes from those who are walking a similar path. Our event will provide the opportunity for you to forge lasting connections, creating a network of understanding that extends far beyond the duration of the event.
Throughout the weekend, we will host around 10 engaging sessions and presentations, facilitated by professionals and experts in SMS. These sessions will cover a range of topics (from infants to adults) including education, behaviours, sleep, and health to practical advice on accessing support services. One highlight of our information-sharing sessions will be the presence of SMS royalty Ann Smith, who brings a wealth of knowledge and a personal touch to this event.
We understand that every individual and family has different comfort zones and abilities. To ensure everyone can participate fully, we have enlisted the support of Jayne and her dedicated crew from SOS Care Services. Their presence guarantees a safe and inclusive environment for all attendees, enhancing the overall experience of our event.
Weekender Pass: £150 per Person
The SMS Foundation Weekender Pass is your key to a weekend filled with connection, learning, and adventure. (please note this price does not include your accommodation) Priced at £150 per person, this pass provides access to all activities, sessions, entertainment, amenities, and catering throughout the event. It’s your ticket to an unforgettable experience with the SMS community.
- Activities: We are carefully curating a selection of family and SMS-friendly activities including zip wires, indoor and outdoor rock climbing, archery, high ropes, a graffiti workshop, a petting zoo, and more.
- Meals: Your pass includes your meals from Friday dinner through to Sunday breakfast. This includes three meals on Saturday (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) and Sunday’s Breakfast.
- Access to the Centre and Grounds: Explore 9 acres of stunning outdoor surroundings and facilities at Mount Cook.
- Information Sessions & Presentations: We are curating around 10 sessions and presentations led by professionals and experts in the field of SMS.
- SMS Care Provision: Jayne and her team (SOS Care Services) will be on hand to support our individuals with SMS who are participating in outdoor activities (alongside Mount Cook activity leaders). To enable families to attend information sessions individuals with SMS will be supported by Jayne’s team with fun activities.
- Licensed Bar: Mount Cook offers a licensed bar for socialising and relaxation.
- Entertainment: On Friday night, as families arrive and settle into the warmth of Mount Cook, we invite you to join us around a crackling campfire. Dance the Night Away and get ready to let loose on Saturday evening at our lively disco! The disco promises to be a night filled with music, dancing, and laughter.
- Free wifi: Well, it’s essential for every SMS family!
Accommodation for the Mount Cook Activity Weekender will be booked on a per-room basis and the chargeable rate will cover the entire duration of the weekend. Prices for rooms are as follows:
|Glamping pods (sleeps 4)
|Camping pitch (one-off cost of the pitch for the weekend)
Main Building: Ensuite Bedrooms
The heart of our accommodations is the main building, with 35 ensuite bedrooms. Most of these rooms are equipped with four beds (2 bunk beds), providing a cozy and communal atmosphere. For families of five or six, there are a small number of rooms with additional sleeping spaces.
Each standard bedroom features a shower, toilet, and sink. There is lockable storage in each room, allowing you to bring a padlock for peace of mind.
Accessible Bedrooms with Hoists
We are pleased to offer two accessible bedrooms equipped with hoists. Ample unobstructed floor space ensures ease of movement, and a private en-suite wet room adds to the comfort of those with specific accessibility needs.
Glamping Pods: A Unique Experience
For those seeking a more rustic experience, we have 10 Glamping Pods available. Each pod accommodates four individuals and includes a toilet and sink with cold running water. Hot showers are conveniently located in the main building, just a 30-second walk away. USB charging points in the pods cater to modern needs, while standard plug sockets are available in the main building for additional convenience.
Camping Charges and Inclusions:
- Outdoor Connection: Families who wish to bring their own tents or campervans can opt for a camping experience. The pitch fee is £40 (one-off cost for the pitch for the duration of the weekend) in addition to the Weekender Passes for each family member.
Electronic Keycard Access and Bedding Provisions
All bedrooms, regardless of type, are secured with electronic keycard access. Rest assured, we provide all bedding and bed linen, so you can travel light and focus on enjoying the weekend.
Important Note: Towels Not Provided
While bedding is taken care of, please remember to pack your own towels for personal use. Whether you’re participating in activities, relaxing in your room, or enjoying the glamping experience, having your towels on hand will enhance your overall comfort.
Our primary aim is to make the Mount Cook Activity Weekender as accessible as possible for our community. Simultaneously, we recognise the importance of maintaining the future sustainability of The SMS Foundation. Striking this delicate balance is crucial to ensuring that this event can continue to provide valuable experiences for years to come.
We understand the financial commitments families face, and we have worked hard to keep the prices lower than those of comparable family weekends at activity centers, such as CenterParcs. Our goal is to ensure that the Mount Cook Activity Weekender is not only enriching but also economically feasible for all our community members.
- Complete your application online.
- After your application has been processed you will receive an email to confirm your place.
- To register and secure your place a 30% deposit is due within 48 hours of confirmation. The full balance (remaining 70%) is due on 1st June, 2024. Alternatively, you can pay the full amount to register and secure your place (within 48 hours of confirmation).
Opening Registration in February
Priority for newbies: In the spirit of inclusivity and to provide families who haven’t attended a conference in the past with a special opportunity, we will be opening registration on Monday 26th February for new families. For the first this week, priority will be given exclusively to families who have not attended one of our events before. It doesn’t matter if you have recently got a diagnosis, or you had a diagnosis years ago, you are eligible to join as a ‘newbie’ if you have not been to one of our events before.
Open to All SMS Families: Registration will open to all remaining SMS families on Monday 4th March. We are trying to ensure that every family in our community has the chance to secure their place at the Mount Cook Activity Weekender.